SEO and Beyond — There’s More to Backlinks than Just Rankings

By March 24, 2018SEO Tips

The algorithms set by Google to rank websites have a great focus on backlinks. Many SEO marketers focus too much on this that they forget the other benefits of backlinks. Sure, gathering backlinks is a major factor in bringing your website to the top of search engines. Even the best SEO company in Melbourne can attest to that.

However, that is not just the reason why backlinks exist. Most businesses that are looking into ranking in search engines are concerned in search traffic. But, building links can serve other purposes as well.

  • Traffic from referrals
  • Brand reputation
  • Relationship building
  • Promotions and marketing

Traffic from Referrals

47% of all the online traffic is directed by search engines. That leaves 53% of it coming from other sources. 15% of that comes from referrals. What does this mean? If you place your link on an authority site, you do not just contribute to search rankings. You can also take advantage of the abundant referral traffic.
Now, this does not mean that you shift your focus on referral traffic. Keep your goal in search traffic and consider referral traffic as perks.

Brand & Reputation

Gone are the days of blackhat SEO. Today, you will be penalised for trying to build links and hiding it from the naked eye. The general rule is that links should always be seen. With this being said, you can use links as an opportunity to brand your business. Branding is the backbone of marketing.

By now, you should already know that consumers believe established brands.Include anchored texts of your brands in your profile and spread it to your other social media profiles as well. Users may not click on your name at first, but that is not your goal. Your goal is to just have your name out there for the public to remember.

Relationship Building

It is just plain wrong to build links without fostering relationships too blindly. Building links can be an easier task when you have connections within your niche. When you connect with others in your niche, it often leads to being visible. This will allow link exchange to become easier and more hassle-free.

Promotions & Marketing

Anyone can learn how to make valuable content. But, what happens after that? Many will say that sharing links on social media will do the trick.

There is no doubt that social media is an effective way to get your content out there for exposure. However, posts on social media could get buried down the timeline when there is no repetitive sharing. So, what is a great alternative?

Get your content link to content curation sites. Share updates, new articles, or product launch on press release sites. A press release might not bring heavy SEO value, but we are talking about the promotion here. The press release is still a classic and proven way to promote.

The best SEO company in Melbourne suggests building links with the goal that reaches beyond SEO. SEO is still the priority but it would not hurt to do these on the side as well.